About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

J is for JAY (bird)

Welcome to ABC Wednesday, Round 21, where this week we celebrate the letter J.  This letter could begin words like jam, jar, jump, jealousy, jonquil, or names like Janet, Jaclyn (or Jacqueline), John, Jason, or James

In August of this year, I took my Welsh visitors for a drive to Shannon Falls.  We had a great time strolling upwards towards the stairs leading to the falls. We wandered through forest growths of cedars and beside the creek where the waterfall ends up and people were jumping from rock to rock or just simply cooling their feet in the frigid water.
 JANE
 JUMPS
Then, on our journey back to the car, as we were winding our way through the old forest growth, I just happened to look up - I have no idea why - but there was a bird sitting on a branch immediately above my head!  I quickly and quietly readied my Canon EOS Rebel T4i camera and started shooting.  The bird didn't move.  So I went in for a closer shot - and then closer - the bird didn't move.  It was almost as though this bird was actually posing for me!  I thought it was a blue jay, but on further research after returning home, I discovered it's a Stellar Jay

Apparently, the blue jay resides through most of eastern and central USA, although western populations may be migratory. It is predominantly blue with a white chest and underparts, and a blue crest. It has a black, U-shaped collar around its neck and a black border behind the crest.
The stellar jay, however, is native to western North America, and has a black head and upper body. It is also known as the long-crested jay, mountain jay, and pine jay. It is the only crested jay west of the Rocky Mountains.
Here he is in all his glory!

Isn't he gorgeous!

Hope you all have a jolly week and we'll be back next week for the letter L as in Leslie!

11 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Wet rocks can be slippery.

ROG, ABCW

ABC-Wednesday said...

Overhere he's called: Stellers Gaai...

But sadly enough I have never seen one yet in rl.

Thank you for this introduction Leslie, what a wonderful bird this is.

Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / - week!
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/21-j

Photo Cache said...

Oh I wish I was sitting on one of those river rocks and reading a book right now.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful Jay Bird and lovely place to roam ~ great photos too for J ~ thanks, ^_^

(A ShutterBug Explores)

Hildred said...

Yes, he is gorgeous, and B.C.'s emblem, although I must say they are very scarce here in the Similkameen, - just the odd one.

Liz Hinds said...

Gorgeous bird!

Unknown said...

zyada koi betab kya hoga,
yaadon ko bahon me lekar soye rahe,
isse jyada unke pyar ka jawab kya hoga play bazaar satta king

Play Bazaar said...

play bazaar

play bazaar Dogs can be extremely protective of their space and bark when uneasy. It doesn't even have an aggressive dog.

prince said...

play bazaar

Play bazaar
satta king The more proficient you are,

Unknown said...

very nice
https://www.aapkinews.net/

Satta King said...

satta king
play bazaar Roj milti hai wo to safar main haiUse kya malum wo meri najar main haiItni manchali chulbauli wo hasina haiKi charcha uski sare shahar main haiJidhar dekhu udhar use hi pata hoonAati najar hame wo computer main haiNagin si jab balkhake chalti woHo jati nigah sabki kamar main haiJo lahrati ho dupatta hawao main iss kadarTo ‘loo’ bhi tham jati dophar main haiKi kapde bhi kam hai tere tan ke wasteTab to bunde bhi na sharma iss umar main haiShayar ban gaya Avinash jab se dekha tujheWo khoya rahta teri najar main hai..