About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

T is for TELEPHOTO

Telephoto lenses are systems used for taking photographs from a long distance away. With SLR cameras, you need to attach a special lens, but other types of cameras usually have a telephoto function.

One of the most important things to remember when using a telephoto lens or function is that any slight movement when taking the photo can result in a blurred image.  Therefore, it's best to use a tripod and a shutter release.  Any movement is amplified when looking through the view finder of a camera using a telephoto lens. The simple act of pressing the shutter on your camera will cause even a tripod mounted camera and lens to shake when photographing a distant subject. To minimize camera shake use a shutter release. Quite simply a shutter release is a shutter release button on an extension cord. Minimizing movement of your camera and lens while mounted on a tripod will reduce unintended bluring of your photo. (from here)

I didn't use either a tripod or a shutter release in these two shots, but I balanced the camera carefully on the edge of a fence or by gripping my arms tightly into my body to keep the camera as still as possible. I was pleased with the results even though they could have been much better.  I'm still learning!


Another trick in using a telephoto lens is to tightly frame your subject.  In this way, you can highlight details that you might not otherwise be able to capture.  This is great if you're trying to photograph any type of wildlife, be it bears or birds.  Notice how I was able to capture the details of this crane's feathers, beak, and eyes. 
I thought you might like to see a few more shots I've taken using my telephoto lens - some from trips I've taken and some from around home.


Well, I guess that's enough for one post...I'm getting tired anyway.  But before I tally-ho, I must take this time to thank Denise Nesbitt for her talents in setting up ABC Wednesday for us all.  She is a terrific lady and I'm thrilled that in three months I'll meet her in person!  Thanks also to all the terrific cyber friends who take the time to comment on everyone's posts.  It's a treat to talk to them here on this meme.

27 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I always associate it with spies taking pictures of Soviet agents.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Powell River Books said...

I use your trick of balancing the camera on something. Since I've had a point and shoot, I haven't had a separate telephoto lens or a tripod. I kind of miss those days of my old 35mm camera, but the easy to use digital is much easier to take everywhere. - Margy

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Nice photos, Leslie. Love the ducks.

Penelope Postcards said...

The beach photo looks very familiar. The puddles left by low tides always provides such wonderful subject matter for taking pictures. These lens sure do allow for wonderful close ups. Looking at the couple having a quite moment, it is nice to see genuine warmth between people … even when they think no one is looking.

Carver said...

Great shots. I used to use a tripod back in my 35 mm camera days but haven't with my digital camera. Carver, ABC-Wed. Team

Berowne said...

When I worked in that field - years before digital photography - our professional opinion was, if it's worth taking it's worth using a tripod.

J.Rylie.C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.Rylie.C said...

I love that bird with red head.

Tug of War

EG CameraGirl said...

I should definitely use a tripod when I use my telephoto...but it takes time to set up and I'm afraid I'll miss my shot. :)

Reader Wil said...

You are very successful for your photos are brilliant!
Wil,ABC Team.

Anonymous said...

terrific lesson on telephoto lens. i should get one :)

Meryl said...

What lovely photos! Who is the woman with the boy? It is such a charming, warm photo.

Wanda said...

Oh how fun to meet Denise in person. I've met serveral blogger friends now in person, and it's so fun. In fact, this week a blog friend Sue (Photowantabe) and her huband will join us at Lake Tahoe for a day of visiting.

Ann said...

Oh your photos are fabulous, you are learning quite well indeed. The first photo you showed in so sweet--looks like hes catching a few winks.
Ann

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wish I could be that good in photography, you are getting so good Leslie.

Travels & Wandering
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Hildred said...

I love my long lens too, - I am behind you in learning, Leslie, but occasionally get a photo that delights me.

Black Jack's Carol said...

I use a telephoto as well, and appreciated all your tips. You are getting some very colourful and interesting pictures. I especially enjoyed the Snowy Owl. I saw them in Delta, but was upset with the many people who disturbed them by going too close. Your image looks like you stayed on the dyke.

lotusleaf said...

Beautiful bird shots!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I want a telephoto too. I was secretly snapping someone and didn't want him to know.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Great captures!

photowannabe said...

I know I should use a tripod too and a shutter release would help, but sometimes its just too much stuff to carry.
Love your shots and the variety.

Martha said...

I must rely on my camera's zoom feature, but I do love a telephoto photo.

Lisa said...

I looovveeee my telephoto lens, but you're so right about the camera shake. There's just so many times when you simply can't take time to set up a tripod! That's where "unsharp mask" becomes an invaluable tool in PhotoShop.

Liz Hinds said...

What is the first bird? He looks to be napping peacefully!

ChrisJ said...

I do like nice clear crisp sharp pictures, especially of wild life.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Leslie, found you at ABC. Love not only the photos and description of the telephoto lens, but all the "t" words you managed to slip in there!

The mama and baby duckling were my favorite. Probably because we have rivers and canals here in Madison, WI, and I feed them organic duck food from the pet store! Peace, Amy, and here's mine:
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/05/31/the-troubadour-abc-weds-thurs-think-tank/

Hazel said...

Thank goodness for release shutters. Your samples are amazing; I love them all.