About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Y is for YIKES!





Just outside Kelsey's Restaurant in Richmond, BC, amongst a grove of tree trunks, stands an old orange pickup truck. At first glance, one might wonder why it's parked there. However, the last time I was there, I took a closer look and I could not believe my eyes! Yikes! The next time I'm at the restaurant, I think I'll ask the staff if there's a story there . There just has to be, but after searching the web I can't find anything. Any guesses as to how it came about being "planted" there? Maybe the UBC Engineers?

26 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

don't know, but the truck seems to be in reasonably good shape!

Kay L. Davies said...

Somebody went to a lot of work to achieve that blending of tree and truck!
I hope the new year is treating you well, Leslie.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Cezar and Léia said...

Very interesting and good question, anyway I think that orange truck is charming, ahhhh the old ones, a kind of vintage feeling today! :)
Léia

Rune Eide said...

That is what happens when you don't was your car :-)

Sylvia K said...

Wow! That is amazing! And Yikes is perfect for the photo and for the day! Someone did indeed go to a lot of work there. It would be fun to find out its history! Hope your week and new year are off to a great start! Enjoy!!

Sylvia

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

what a curious mind,

you can image and have fun playing in your head about it.

Happy 2011.

photowannabe said...

Totally fascinating! There has got to be a good story for that truck. It is good marketing though. Makes you want to come back again.

Carver said...

Wow, that's bizarre. Looks like they used the truck as a planter but I don't see how they did it. Happy New Year!

Reader Wil said...

Amazing! I have never seen the likes of it! BTW Yike is an Australian word for quarrel.What does yikes mean, Leslie?
I wish you a great and healthy 2011 and may all your wishes come true!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Leslie! Great word "yikes"!

Gigi Ann said...

It seems like someone planted the truck there and went to a lot of trouble so the trees could grow through. I noticed the front tag has writing on it, what does it say. Maybe it would give a clue as to why the truck is there.

Tumblewords: said...

Yow - interesting, interesting! Love it!

Hildred said...

That would certainly drawn your attention! Love the orange of the truck, - if you find out how and why be sure to let us know, Leslie.

sally in norfolk said...

must be a story behind it as you say :-)

Richard Lawry said...

Now that's a mystery. I have a 1950 Ford that is very similar but it doesn't have any trees growing through it

An Arkies Musings

nancygrayce said...

There MUST be a story!! But whatever it is, it's really cool!

Happy New Year!!!

Beverley Baird said...

What a great choice for Y! Would love to hear the story behind that one for sure!
Hope you had a wonderful New Year's!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I'll bet who ever thought that up had a blast and loved the challenge! I love old pick up trucks (Chevy's are my fav).
What fun!

Wanda said...

That is a "Yikes"!

I had to look a couple more times...

Happy New Year!

Cheryl said...

Fascinating. I'd track someone down to find out what this is all about. Really amazing. Thanks for the slide show of this wild thing!

Misfit in Paradise said...

Well that's pretty fun. Thanks for sharing.
Donna

Francisca said...

Yikes is right! Quite the engineering challenge to get that truck there with all those trees growing out of it so neatly. I agree with Léia, charming truck. And what a very cool slide show, Leslie!

Joy said...

What a wonderful thing to come across unexpectedly, wonder if there any clues around this aluminium arboretum

Chris said...

Amazing and clever!!!

Thank you for your kind words Leslie..time has to pass for me to get over it all.
Love the photographs on your previous post.
Chris x

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

That's rather wonderful, isn't it? It must be deliberate, and I find it far preferable to most modern sculpture!

Rune Eide said...

Let us just hope that world got a better end than Jim Morrison did ...