About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

W is for Woman

John Lennon wrote the song "Woman," as an ode to his wife Yoko Ono long after the Beatles had disbanded. He called it the '80s update of "Girl," a track on Rubber Soul and was released as a single in January 1981, about a month after Lennon was murdered.
I can remember hearing it for the first time as we were driving up to Shuswap Lake for our summer vacation in 1981. Sleeping in the back seat were our two little girls, one a toddler and one a baby. I can remember the moment so clearly because of the words "I never meant to cause you sorrow or pain." It would be only 10 years later that my whole world came tumbling down around me and those two girls. Whenever I hear this song, it brings to mind that happy summer day when life was easy, I loved and was loved, and I felt safe as the wife of a wonderful man.
Two talented men, both dead in their 40's, one murdered by a lunatic and the other dead by his own choice - what a waste. John Lennon lives on in his music while my husband lives on in the memories of those who loved him and in this song. (Scroll down to watch the Youtube video as you listen to the lyrics.)

JOHN LENNON's
"Woman"


Woman I can hardly express,
My mixed emotion at my thoughtlessness,
After all I'm forever in your debt,
And woman I will try express,
My inner feelings and thankfulness,
For showing me the meaning of success,
oooh well, well,
oooh well, well,

Woman I know you understand
The little child inside the man,
Please remember my life is in your hands,
And woman hold me close to your heart,
However, distance don't keep us apart,
After all it is written in the stars,
oooh well, well,
oooh well, well,

Woman please let me explain,
I never mean(t) to cause you sorrow or pain,
So let me tell you again and again and again,
I love you (yeah, yeah) now and forever,
I love you (yeah, yeah) now and forever,
I love you (yeah, yeah) now and forever,
I love you (yeah, yeah)....


Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas.

21 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow! leslie - such a powerful post yet so powerful and moving. I once read somewhere that the smell and hearing parts of our brain are quite near the memory part - I THINK I read it somewhere but I may have heard it - anyway sounds are evokative and I remember distinct situations when I hear some tunes - just as I think back to being 13 and washing my hair with lemon washing up liquid whenever I smell that particular make of detergent!
Thanks so much.
Hope your Christmas is a good one with your wonderful girls. Who knows in 2011 we just may meet up!

Roger Owen Green said...

Great post, Leslie!
I could never listen to the Double Fantasy album much, even though I bought it after John died. So when it was rereleased this year, with both the unplugged and original versions, I bought it. It's a really fine album, and "Woman" is among his finest songs, far better than "Girl" ever was, to my ears.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

sally in norfolk said...

amazing how songs can bring back so many memories from the past some good some sad but still memories .

wishing you a very happy Christmas x x

Cezar and Léia said...

What can I say? I love John Lennon's songs and this is very beautiful, thanks for the video!
And so perfect choice!
Léia

Rune Eide said...

There is a lot of waste in the world, and most of it is inexplicable. So enjoy the life you have while you have it - I'm on my second helping :-)

Sylvia K said...

A beautiful and marvelous and very moving post and tribute to John Lennon! I will always be a great fan and admirer. Music does bring back so many memories both beautiful and sad! Thank you for sharing this! Wishing you and yours a very wonderful Christmas, Leslie!

Sylvia

Reader Wil said...

Wonderful post Leslie! This is one of the Beatle songs I haven't heard very often! Thank you for sharing.
Have a great Christmas and a wonderful 2011.

Carver said...

Wonderful post Leslie. Wishing you a merry Christmas and all the best in the year ahead.

Gigi Ann said...

I have never heard that song before, however it was lovely to listen to. Thanks for sharing your memories with us today, Leslie. Have a great week.

Roger Owen Green said...

Leslie - thought you'd find this story about the Watching the Wheels recording session interesting.

Tumblewords: said...

Songs bring back more memory than anything - to me. I generally try to listen to music I've never heard, particularly if I'm feeling a touch down. Excellent post - I love your little avatar with the red and happy wave! Perfect!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Very much so a thought and emotion provoking post, Leslie.
My friend's teenage daughter declared that suicide was a permanent solution to a temporary problem. How wise, eh? And, yes, truly a waste not to mention forever changing lives in ways one could never imagine.
Brave woman, for putting your heart out there-that took strength.
Have a blessed holiday.

Paula

Beverley Baird said...

Leslie what a very powerful sharing today. My heart goes out to you. There are many songs that trigger strong emotions or at least memories of the past.
Here's wishing you a loving Christmas with your children.

Gattina said...

Of course I knew the song, but I never understood the words, my English wasn't good enough. Now I do and it's a very emotional song.
Some songs in our lives bring back good or bad memories. A very nice W post !!

jabblog said...

What a poignant memory for you. I hope the happy memories are dominant. They certainly are for my husband who was 10 when his father killed himself.
I wish you and yours a peaceful, merry Christmas and a happy and fulfilling 2011.

Cheryl said...

I always well up when I hear this song. My memories are of what could have been, not what was.

Thank you for sharing this part of your life.

Wishing you happy holidays.

EG CameraGirl said...

I love that John Lennon song. I hope it brings you positive memories as well as those of pain.

Merry Christmas, Leslie!

Wanda said...

Leslie, how powerful your words. How deep and thought provoking. It's so true, a song, a smell, a taste...what memories they can bring, both happy and sad.

Thanks for sharing your story, and the video of Woman.

Jama said...

A beautiful tribute to a great musician! I love that song.

Vasi Dubreu said...

Hi,Leslie!
Great post!
I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, such a waste. I'm sorry the song brings back such sad memories for you. Hope you are managing to have a Merry Xmas, Leslie.