About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I have just finished reading the most wonderful book by the Seattle author, Garth Stein. I'm a sucker for dogs so the idea of a book written from the perspective of a much-beloved dog on the brink of death intrigued me. Also, I probably would never have known about the book had it not been because one of my students had to read it for Grade 8 Literature and was having some trouble getting through it and doing his assignment. So thanks, A.......!

It only took me two days to read the book but I probably would have spent more time absorbing all the detail if I hadn't needed to finish it by Saturday. I think I might go back and reread it another time even though I could hardly see the last several pages for the tears running down my face.

Here is a link to a synopsis of the story and if you scroll down a bit, be sure to watch the two videos included. Neither video is very long. One is about Enzo (the dog) talking about his belief that he will be reincarnated as a man, and the other is the author discussing how he got the idea for his novel. Both videos are really worth a look and the book very much worth the read. No point in my telling you anymore, so go on over and have a look for yourself.

6 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

We were looking at that book when we were at Costco and had to wait for something. Almost bought it. This close [ ]. Now Dick says I can get it from the library.
Sigh.
-- K

Gigi Ann said...

I am a sucker for books about dogs and cats also. I just recently read, "Katie Up and Down the Hall." by Glenn Plaskin. This week I bought the book, Cleo, The Cat Who Mended a Family" by Helen Brown. It is the next one on my stack of books to read.

I will have to see if the Library has this one, if they do I will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the nice review.

Beverley Baird said...

Loved the videos! Loved the whole idea of how he created the book!
Hopefully our Costgo will have it!
Hope all is well with you.
Take care.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sounds a great read.

Smalltown RN said...

OH I always like hearing about a good book...I'll have to check that one out. Hope life is treating you well Leslie.....

Happy Halloween to you!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh dear, I'm watching Marley and Me tonight and fear that may end in tears!