About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

G is for GOLD

As you might have guessed, G is for gold today! The Olympics are over now, but Canada made history by winning fourteen gold medals. That is the largest number of gold medals ever won by any country - ever - AND the most gold medals any country has ever won on home soil. It was so exciting on Sunday when the men's hockey team beat the United States in overtime, winning that 14th gold medal. I was among the crowds downtown with a friend listening as the game was broadcast into the streets. When Crosby scored, the whole city went wild with excitement! Everyone was very well behaved but screaming and waving the Canadian flag. Some were playing drums, some were jumping up and down, and there was just the slightest aroma of a certain "je ne sais quoi" herb. lol Just thought you might like to see a few photos taken from that very special GOLDEN day!











I had an opportunity to hold an official torch (it was rather heavy!) and we walked walked walked from one end of the downtown core to another. We picnicked outside on hamburgers and fries and then ended up in a quiet coffee/gelatto cafe to watch the closing ceremonies on a big screen TV. We ended our evening by watching the fireworks displays over the water! What a wonderful ending to a wonderful day...and celebration of athletes from all over the world.

15 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Perfect post for the day! Does look as though lots of fun was had! Your photos are terrific! Hope the rest of your week is just as fun!

Sylvia

ChrisJ said...

I am an ex Brit/Canadian and now American. I must admit I was pulling for the Canadians in the hockey game. After all it was their Olympics and hockey is their game. I'm so glad you got all those gold medals too -- though I am glad the USA got a lot of medals. Having lived in 3 countries makes for very ambivalent loyalties when it comes to sports. In addition, we have Welsh ancestry. Guess we're mongrels! Great post.

Beverley Baird said...

We had the same idea!!
What a great 17 days. No - Vantastic!!!
I am in withdrawal now - what are we going to do without the Olympics!! lol
Great photos!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. That is so exciting for you! Holding the torch! Of course I wanted the US to win, but every time they lost to Canada I was happy for you : )

Tumblewords: said...

Congratulations! It was all very lovely! I watched far more than I thought I would and enjoyed it all. I still don't GET the curling, though! :)

Hildred said...

Wonderful pictures, - we were amazed and moved at the marvelous reception the people of Vancouver gave the Games. Everyone was so happy and enthusiastic and proud. Glad you could be a part of it.

Mickle in NZ said...

Great photos of a wonderful day, and a beautiful, super-happy Leslie.

So, so Brilliant that Canada won the ice hockey. Leslie, you have every reason to celebrate and feel proud. And a triple wonderful to Lorne for his part in it all.

Mara said...

I saw some of those half-naked men on tv! I know it was warmer in Vancouver than it was in the Netherlands, but still...

Anyway I loved the Games, the were truly brilliant (and we won our first ever ski-gold as well)!

photowannabe said...

Congratulations on GOLD!!! Canada rocked at the Olympics.
Great pictures and great memories.

sally in norfolk said...

some great photos :-)

Joy said...

Congratulations on your golds and a great games. How lucky G was so close in the ABC year. We won our first gold for 30 years so we are all happy as well.

lv2scpbk said...

You have some wonderful photos and looks like you had alot of fun. On behalf of the ABC team, thank you.

Rositta said...

In spite of the miserable ramblings of some of the British press, Vancouver did itself proud. I wished I could have been there but I watched almost all of it on tv. After the hockey game some downtown Toronto streets were also closed because of the celebrations. It was amazing...ciao

Roger Owen Green said...

I gotta say I was not disappointed when the Canadians beat the Americans. It was an exciting game.

Will Vancouver now go through Olympics withdrawal?

Madelyn said...

Hi Leslie. My name is Madelyn, and I am creating a documentary about the sweetgrass basket tradition in Charleston. Your picture of the boardwalk with the Dried bulrush is exactly what I need for my documentary. However, if I want to use your picture, I need to properly cite it. To do this, I need to know the photographer's last name. I assume that you are the photographer, so if you do not mind I need to know your last name.

Thanks so much,
Madelyn