About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Z is for ZAMBONI

In 1949, Frank Zamboni Jr. invented a machine that transformed the job of resurfacing an ice rink from a three-man, 90-minute task to a one-man, 10-minute job. Go here to read all about the Zamboni, its history and how it works.

As some of you might recall, I met my fiance at an ice-skating rink in Vancouver. I loved to skate with him because he played hockey and could literally whiz around the arena, and all I had to do was hang onto his arm. He played pro hockey for a year, but because of an injury wasn't able to continue to play professionally. However, he still loves the game and goes to all the Vancouver Giants games during the season.
When we first started going out again last fall, he gave me something to give to my grandson. I've kept it because I want my fiance to give it to my grandson himself. It's a 2001 "Team Collectible" Limited Edition NHL Vancouver Canucks miniature Zamboni. It happens to be the sixth in a series of licensed Diecast Collectible Mini Zambonis and I just know my grandson will treasure it. I hope we can get together soon so they can get to know each other and enjoy their time together talking about hockey. I think grandson's Dad might enjoy it, too.
ABC Wednesday is hosted by Mrs. Nesbitt. Click here to see other participants' entries.

15 comments:

Maggie May said...

That was a very clever Z entry and interesting too.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Linky is still down. Excellent original entry on behalf of the team. Thanks on behalf of the team for always very different posts.

Mara said...

What a great choice for z! We are fond of it over here in the Netherlands as well. Not so much for the ice hockey, more for the speed skating.

Miss_Yves said...

A great, original choice !
and I love your "avatar/imago"who is skating !

Regina said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
Regina

photowannabe said...

Very clever and original post for Z. I just love the word zamboni. It got a certain flair to it. Thanks for the little history lesson too.
Your grandson will definitely treasure that special gift. Great story all around.

Jay said...

Ooh, I've always wanted to know how those things worked! I still can't believe they can do all that so quickly and leave the surface freshly frozen and unruffled!

Clever things - clever post!

Roger Owen Green said...

I covet your Zamboni model. just sayin'.

Janie said...

The miniature zamboni is a cute gift. I always wondered where those things got their name. Now I know!

Rune Eide said...

Definitely not your everyday machine or Z, for that matter. Nice to have a personal touch to it, too.

Rose said...

A great choice for Z! Your grandson will certainly enjoy his present. Glad you shared the information about the inventor; zamboni always sounded like an ice cream flavor to me:)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very interesting and what a lovely gift for your grandson.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

a lovely gift, yes It would be great if Lorne gave it to Noel. x

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow! What an informative post leslie...
wonderful!
Dxx

Tumblewords: said...

Great choice!