About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Bonds of Love


This evening I was presented with a dozen beautiful white roses! What a lovely surprise! My sweetie often brings me flowers but this is the first time he's brought roses and naturally he received profound thanks. He said he wasn't sure what the colour "white" meant with regard to roses and I wasn't sure, either. So I thought I'd check it out.

History and Meaning of White Roses - from here.

Primary Significance: Purity, Innocence, Sympathy, Spirituality
With its pristine appearance, the white rose has come to symbolize purity, innocence and secrecy. There are myths and legends from several different cultures relating to the origin of the first rose which is initially white in color and is then miraculously transformed. Oftentimes the pure white rose was depicted as being stained by blood, or made to blush from a kiss. The recurrence of this theme does a great deal to establish the white rose as a symbol for purity.

Early traditions also used white roses as a symbol for true love, an association which would later become the hallmark of the red rose. However, white roses continue to endure and retain their symbolism of innocence. White roses are now used to express a number of different sentiments.

Also known as the bridal rose, the white rose is a traditional wedding flower. In this sense, they are a representation of unity, virtue, and the pureness of a new bond of love. White roses are also a symbol for young love, which further strengthens the association, and makes them ideal for marriages. Bridal bouquets are often comprised of white roses and other white flowers.

White roses are also associated with honor and reverence, which makes them a fitting memorial for a departed loved one. Funeral and sympathy arrangements traditionally incorporate white roses as a part of the tribute. As a symbol of remembrance, the white rose represents heavenliness and is an expression of spiritual love and respect.
While most of the long-established meanings of white roses are still quite commonly used today, others have become less prevalent. White rosebuds, for example, are a traditional symbol for girlhood and carry an underlying message of one too young for love. While perhaps no longer falling into the realm of common knowledge, this is still very much a part of the language of roses.

White roses can mean many things to many different people. They can symbolize new beginnings, or be a sign of farewell. They can convey feelings of love, friendship, respect and hope. Underlying all of these messages is the impression of innocence and purity with which white roses are now synonymous. An arrangement of white roses is not only beautiful; it can carry a complexity that belies its simpler appearance. Whatever the reason white roses are given, it can be assured that they will be deeply appreciated by their recipient.

As I was arranging the roses in my grandmother's cut glass vase, I heard the lawn mower start up. There he was mowing the lawn because apparently it's going to rain this weekend. Am I lucky or what? When he finishes, he's barbecuing hamburgers for us. Oh, and he didn't forget the wine, either. Aren't they gorgeous? Click to enlarge.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

They're just beautiful Leslie. The hubster mowed here tonight for the same reason.

Maggie May said...

You are REALLY lucky!
Brilliant!

CherryPie said...

How beautifull :-) What a lovely surprise.

Chris said...

Roses the flowers of love!

Happy day for you.

Chris x

Michele said...

Absolutely lovely bouquet of roses... I don't think I ever received the white ones... a wonderful surprise!

nancygrayce said...

Oh, yes, they are gorgeous! When one of our sons got married I had a "bowl" arrangement done for their table at the rehearsal dinner. I had mixed roses and wrote a poem for them with the meaning of all the roses. It was beautiful if I do say so!

Ruth W. said...

so beautiful!! I love white roses, so pure and delicate.

I am so happy for you Leslie, love is in the air indeed.

Mickle in NZ said...

So beautiful and so well deserved.

Whenever I read your recent and current I keep getting a huge happy smile. Maybe happiness is infectious.

Huggles from Wellington, Michelle and Zebbycat (he purrs agreement) xx

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Wow they are gorgeous Leslie..very lucky !!

I get flowers now and again, but my favourite flower is the Freesia...!

Thumbelina said...

They are beautiful Leslie. You are well loved by a man not afraid to show it!

RiverPoet said...

I love the flowers, Leslie. What a romantic devil you've found! D

Rositta said...

On Saturday it was our wedding anniversary and I didn't get flowers. My sweeties spent the day taking care of me though as I was violently ill for most of the day and night and today he took a day off work to drive me to the hospital for a cortisone shot in my hip. As much as I love flowers and he usually remembers this time I forgive him. When my mother died her personal care homemaker came to the service with two dozen white roses. I knew what it meant, she adored my mom. I love white roses, always have...ciao

antigoni said...

These roses are very beautiful. You are a very lucky lady!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Leslie,
How are you doing and your back?

Long time not visited your blog, for me white roses are PURE and honest, and friendly white and sweet.

Greetings from JoAnn/Holland

photowannabe said...

You have the prize of a man Leslie. Hang on to him. Not too many like that.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

They are gorgeous indeed - and so is he to be so thoughtful!

Liz Hinds said...

They are gorgeous! Better than red. Lucky you!