About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, January 30, 2009

There's No Place Like Home...

...and nothing like being free of pain, or at least pain that registers off the chart! Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes and special thanks to Josie for letting you all know that I had to be readmitted to the hospital. After about 4 days of excruciating pain that even Percocet wouldn't touch, a day in Emergency, and an ambulance ride to get a CT scan to check that everything was okay inside me, I ended up at my surgeon's office actually sobbing my heart out because of the pain. When I reminded him that I have a very high pain tolerance he replied, "I KNOW you have a high pain tolerance. I saw inside you!" So into the hospital I went for another week on a regimen to control the pain while the sciatic nerve settled down and I continued to heal.

I came home yesterday (Thursday) and slept through the night, waking only to take pain meds around 6:00 a.m. My "sweetie" is out washing his Jeep right now because he'd like to take me for a short drive to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. So off I go to have a quick shower and get dressed - quick for me probably means about an hour as I'm still moving veeeeerrrrry slowly.

I'll take my camera with me - you never know when you might get a good shot of something.

19 comments:

RiverPoet said...

Leslie - I never saw anything from Josie saying you were back in the hospital! Maybe I missed it somehow.

I'm glad that your pain level is down, but I'm also very sorry that you had to endure what you did. Geez!

Wishing you many pain-free days and sending gentle hugs - D

peppylady (Dora) said...

Welcome home and don't over do it.
One piece of friendly advice don't refuse help being exhaust don't help the body heal.
I'm sending you healing energies.

Coffee is on.

Saz said...

On of my favourite 'phrases' and from OZ my favourite song!!!

lovely imagery

nancygrayce said...

I am so glad to hear that you're o.k. I missed the update so I was worried! I'm praying it's smooth sailing from here on out! :)

Belizegial said...

Leslie,

I'm glad to hear you're out of the hospital and hope that all continues to go well for you.

Stay strong,
Enid

Country Girl said...

I missed your re-admittance to the hospital, Leslie. I'm so sorry. Oh, I was so happy to see your post come up on my blogroll! Glad to see, too, that your sweetie is around caring for you. What a blessing.
Take care, my friend.

Jo said...

Your sweetie has a Jeep??? My favorite car!

I'm glad you're home, and finally on the mend. I think you have turned the corner. Spring will be here soon, and you can get outdoors and enjoy it. I still want to come and visit you when you're feeling better.

Take care!

Cheers!

Clarice ♥

sally in norfolk said...

I also missed that you had been back into hospital.... i do hope things are better now and that its all uphill from now on x x

Michele said...

Well, I didn't know you were readmitted into the hospital. I didn't see that. I'm not sure where that was...
I missed it somehow. I'm sorry about that.
I'm glad you are feeling better now though.
I have a huge tolerance to pain as well but what you are going through sounds a little over the edge!! Yikes!
(((Hugs)))

Ruth W. said...

I did see Jo's comment about being re-admitted to the hospital.

So glad you have finally turned the corner.

MedStudentWife said...

YEAAAHHHH !!! I'm so glad you are back at homeand feeling better.You even "sound" better :)

Unknown said...

Leslie! So sorry tp hear you have been through the mill and back. I hope you are now truly on the road to recovery.

Mickle in NZ said...

Dear Leslie, what a time you've had. Am very relieved that you've now turned that corner.

And that you have your Sweetie in your life. I'm sure he'll be cooking up some treats for you.

Sending care, gentle huggles and healing thoughts, Michelle xxx

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

So pleased for you Leslie, must be a huge relief to have it sorted, well at least the horrendous pain you were going through...Take Care

Hope you have a good drive out :-)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Continue to heal well. Hope you enjoy your ride with your "sweetie".

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, Leslie, you have had a rotten time! Glad you are now pain-free and are going to enjoy some sun. Love from Sicily xx

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you aren't alone. Take care.

Ellee Seymour said...

What a terrible time you have had. Take care.

antigoni said...

I'm happy for you because, despite your pain, you haven't lost your humour.I'm sure the pain will go soon.