About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Bloggettes and Bridges

What a glorious day today! Waking up to sunshine, warm temperatures, and a gentle breeze, I could hardly wait to get to Bridges for lunch and meet two of my bloggette buddies, jmb and liz. Now jmb lives right in the city of Vancouver and we'd talked on the phone a few times but had never met in person before. And Liz, as a lot of you know, is visiting BC from her home in Wales.



Bridges is an award-winning restaurant, bistro wine bar, and pub right on the Granville Island Waterfront. We sat on the patio under Bridges famous brilliant yellow umbrellas and had views of the downtown city center and the mountains. Some massive yachts and sailboats were moored right below our feet, nestled under the Burrard Street Bridge.







The food is impressive at Bridges and it took a bit of time to reach our individual decisions. I had the smoked salmon and avocado sandwich that came with a beautiful bunch of seedless red grapes. (I'll let the other two tell you their story.) But dessert was something else! We all had the same thing - berry shortcake. Oh my gosh, was it ever good! Loads of plump and juicy blueberries and blackberries on a slice of shortcake, covered with a generous dollop of whipped cream, topped by a mint leaf.
So the venue was great! But the company was even better. Both ladies are wonderful and looked exactly as I had pictured them. There was no problem with conversation and we jumped from one topic to another. I sure hope Liz enjoys her stay here in BC. Tomorrow they're heading over to Vancouver Island for a few days and then they're heading to the Rockies and Banff.


I'll let jmb post her own photo of us all together if she wants to as she usually prefers to keep a low profile. But here are Liz and me just before we dug into our delightful dessert.
As I had a student coming just after 3pm, I had to leave early. However, I'm sure jmb will tell you more about what she and Liz did with the rest of the afternoon. Suffice it to say that I'm looking forward to seeing Liz again next year (I hope!) at her home town in Wales.

15 comments:

Linda said...

I think it's great that you get to meet in person so many of your blogging friends. And that shortcake looks so yummy!

Unknown said...

What fun and a wonderful location too. That scone looks awesomely good!

PERBS said...

It's always nice to finally meet a "face" from the internet! Glad you had a great time together!

magiceye said...

bloggers' day out! great!

Cath said...

Sounds like a great time! You're coming to Wales? I met Holly in Wales... I feel a great international blogger meet up coming on.....

Dragonstar said...

I'm glad you had a good time together. That berry shortcake has my mouth watering!

mrsnesbitt said...

How great was that! Fun fun fun!
Looking forward to meeting up sometime. Now I know you like cake I had better do some market research and check out a few! LOL!

Russell said...

Wow! A great day made even better by wonderful company and superb food!!

A day to remember!

Daryl said...

Fabulous .. bloggers meeting up is so fun

Dessert looks delish .. as do the 2 of you!

:-Daryl

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Fabulous photos and it looks like you all had a fabulous time! Oh, how I want some of that dessert! Wish I could have been there ....

Pam said...

Sounds like a great day and wow - look at that sunshine. We haven't had a lot of that here for a while...

holly said...

that is soooo cool! yes let's do an international bloggy meetup in wales!!!!

jmb said...

Great post Leslie, great day, great lunch. I have been too busy, not home enough, to write it up yet. Tomorrow or the next day or soon.

sally in norfolk said...

great when you get to meet your blogging friends.... hope our time will come next year :-)

ellen b. said...

Oh how cool is that. That's Liz from Wales?? Ok girl, you're killing me with that dessert. It looks fabulous.