About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Going Back in Time

When my visitors were horseback riding one day, I strolled around a different area of Campbell Valley Regional Park to see the old Rowlett farmstead and Lochiel School that dates back to 1924. It's a one-room schoohouse, used for historic programs that interpret early education in Langley. Teachers can take their students to the school for an interactive drama where the students become the class of 1924. The costumed interpretor in the role of "Miss Jones" takes students back in time to experience strict rules drills slate boards rote learning and many grades in one schoolroom. Obedience good manners and hard work are insisted upon - but students have a good time despite the high standards!

It was a beautiful sunny day when I strolled the grounds of the farm and schoolhouse with hardly anyone around. I was able to sit under the spreading branches of a few of the solitary trees and just take in the moment. I highly recommend that if you're in the area, you stop in for a look. I hope you enjoy this virtual tour. You can also click on the screen to open up a new page to see the photos in a larger size, but you'll have to click each one to open it up.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, those are absolutely WONDERFUL photographs. I would love to do a watercolor painting of that old barn. My gosh!

Obedience, good manners and hard work were not such bad things to expect from the students, were they?

Ruth W. said...

Hi Leslie, wonderful post. I don't think I ever told you that I graduated with a BS degree in Elementary Education but was unable to get a job. At that time, there were so many people applying for the same job, with my middle C grade average, I didn't have a chance. I would have love to have been born many years ago and to be able to teach in a single schoolroom. It just wasn't meant to be for me.

Russell said...

Wow!! I REALLY enjoyed watching that slide show you put together of the farm and school!! I mean, two of my favorite things!!

I confess, I am not a big country western music fan but you know what? I actually liked this Trace Adkins song... I need to get out more I guess!!!

Take care and thanks so much for that great presentation!!

Michele said...

Yes, that slide show was fantastic! Your photography is awesome on those. You did a great job on compiling that... very well done.
There are many days where I would gladly put all this technology off to the side and live in the days of the yesteryears.... oh I really do!

Cedar said...

Leslie you are really getting fancy with those slide shows. I am enjoying them. I just love pictures.