About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Skywatch Friday

Be sure to check out Eden's one-month birthday photo below. She finally has her eyes open a bit more often.
As I was driving home from the hairdresser yesterday around 5:30 pm, I noticed Mount Baker standing out monumentally against the crystal clear and bright blue sky. I was really hungry so decided to eat first and then head down to Centennial Beach to catch some shots. I also needed to collect some sand, shells, and driftwood for a home decor project, so I'd kill two birds with one shot, so to speak. By the time I arrived around 6:45, the sky had taken on a paler blue hue, so the mountain didn't stand out quite so starkly against the brilliant blue I'd noticed earlier. However, this is what I managed and I will try to get some better shots another time.

I then turned towards the North Shore and got this shot of the snow-capped mountains. You can just see a hint of pink above the mountains, along with a few clouds scudding by.

As I left the beach area, I decided to stop and take some photos of Cammidge House, an old heritage home that has been restored to its former glory. Keep an eye out for a post on it later. Then as it was getting a bit too cool for my liking, I headed down the highway towards home. I glanced to my left (the west) and saw the sun just about to drop below the horizon. I reached over, grabbed my camera, turned it on, and held it beside me and just clicked. My eyes were on the road ahead - after all, I was doing over 100 klicks in the left lane. This is what I caught.

As I stopped at the traffic light just before turning west into my little village, I managed this shot.
I cropped it and played with the contrast a bit and came up with this. I rather like it.

Hope you enjoyed my skywatch pictures today. For more pictures, check out Tom at Wiggers World here.

43 comments:

Carole said...

These are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Very good post and those pictures are great. Good work

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting and sharing your wonderful pictures.
My picture is from March 2007.
Never have seen the sky the colourful again.
Right now very little snow is left and spring is around the corner.

-Cheers.

Anonymous said...

These are all beautiful! I see Mt Baker from the other side when I'm home in Washington! Enjoy...

Carletta said...

Very nice series of photos!
Great job.

dot said...

Enjoyed your pictures very much! I click going down the road too.

Rose said...

Beautiful--all of them!

Anonymous said...

I hope it's ok with you that I re-comment here about your question on the trellis sky shot...
as a matter of face there are 4 adirondack chairs right next to that trellis! :)

SandyCarlson said...

Wow, wow, wow. These are amazing. Mt. Baker is gorgeous.

Linda said...

These are great - looks like you made good use of the day.

Lilli & Nevada said...

those are all great photos, my favorite however is that last one with all the yellows

Tom said...

Hello Leslie
What a great series you have for us all to enjoy today..
Thank you for joining in with Sktwatch this week.. and also posting a link.
Tom

meg said...

Wonderful pics! Thanks for sharing.
Hope you will share the sand/shells decoration??

duopastorale said...

I can only dream of having such views from my car!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos with very nice colours on the last ones.

Pernille said...

Nice photos and and wonderful color in the last one:) Good work:)

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Thank you , thank you, thank you again, LESLIE,

Ffor sharing this GREAT views thanks to you I can see a bit more of your wonderfull Canadian surrounding, I really could make the drive with you. Your shots are fine! so don't you worry about the quality, its the idea of showing YOUR 'eyes" behind YOUR camera.

Thanks for the compliments you gave me, and your visit at my SKYWATCH, have a creative weekend!

JoAnn (Holland)

Marie said...

Yes I enjoyed your photos very much! Interesting to read as well!

Flying Solo said...

Fantastic shots!!! Thanks!

mrsnesbitt said...

I love this approach to Skywatch friday. A story with pictures, true dialogue! Shows the care you place into the project.

Dxx

Michele said...

Beautiful photos even at traveling in the car.... wow, pretty impressive!!!

Anne-Berit said...

Thats beautiful shots for SWF:o)

Low Iron Only said...

I love the pictures and i don't I guess I don't think of the beach being so close to snowcapped mountains. I forget thats possible absolutely beautiful

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

What a great sky show. Thanks for all the colorful photos.

Daniel J Santos said...

Interesting post, very beautiful pictures, well done.

EG CameraGirl said...

Thanks for the travelogue. And I sure am glad you kept your eyes on the road when you were travelling at 100 Km!

Randi said...

wow....all are beautifully!!

Kim said...

You have a lot of wonderful sky photos. The colors are wonderful and the mountains look so grand. Great job.

photowannabe said...

Nice shots. You live in a gorgeous area. Love the sunset pictures.

maryt/theteach said...

Absolutely gorgeous pix of the mountains and sunset! In the NorthEast U.S. where I live there are no real impressive mountains... :( Even the Green Mountains in Vermont and the White Mountains In New Hampshire pale in comparison.

Ellee Seymour said...

Fabulous pics, I love the snow peaks on the mountains and the lovely sunsets.

Pam said...

Indeed lovely pictures; also of your lovely kissy people!

And no, we didn't pick the Queen's daffodils! Didn't want to spend the rest of our holidays in the Tower of London...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Wonderful - just wonderful - yet again. You do make me feel that life is worth living with these photos of all the beauty that is around us, Leslie. Thank you.

♥ Denise BC ♥ said...

Very nice, great picture, good Skywatch.
Denise BC

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Fantastics post, all photos are wonderful!

Luiz

Texas Travelers said...

Really nice series of photos. I like the Mt. Baker shot.

Great SWF series

Colin Campbell said...

Fantastic shots. I miss being close to large mountains. I managed to do this when I lived in some other parts of the world. The "mountains" here are just little hills.

Cindy said...

Not bad for being taken on the fly like that! I do that every once in a while on my bus, but not if I have passengers on board. It might sort of scare them...

Anonymous said...

All the photos are beautiful. I love the mountain photos. They are huge!

Rune Eide said...

The two snow-capped mountains looked almost like coulds!

Smalltown RN said...

Leslie....you are becoming very proficient with the camera....yes Mt. Baker can look beautiful at times...on clear days I can see it when I am in Nanaimo....very nice...sounds like you had a wonderful evening....

chanpheng said...

I used to live in Seattle so I'm thrilled to see the picture of Mt. Baker and the Cascades. Thanks for posting!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Beautiful shots, as ever. I think I like the second one best.