About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, April 18, 2008

A Lovely Day With Children

My daughter Jamie had a doctor's appointment today, so she asked if I would stay with Noah while she and Eden went. Everywhere she goes, Eden goes these days and will do for some time to come. (If you know what I mean...)

I was delighted, as I'm sure any of you would be to play with a four-year-old boy for an hour or two. I arrived a bit before noon, just as Eden finished eating. Jamie gave her to me for a cuddle while she quickly grabbed some lunch and went to get ready, but it wasn't long until I was enveloped in gaseous fumes. When Jamie came back downstairs, I quickly gave up the baby to her Mommy for a diaper change. Whew! I can't believe I went through that - twice!

Noah and I had our lunch and when his mother and sister were gone, he wanted to play ball with me. Out came the Welsh football that my friend Liz sent him all the way from Swansea, Wales. We tossed that ball back and forth, changing positions twice, for over a half hour! He's really good at catching now, so I had a great time. We tried spinning the ball all different ways and even used his Sponge Bob catcher's mitt (although he insisted it was a "glove.")

He doesn't like "story time" but I had brought him a new book and I told him I was going to read it aloud. He could listen but if he wanted to see the pictures, he'd have to come over to look at them. I read him "The True Story of The Three Little Pigs" by A. Wolf (that's Alexander for those who didn't know the wolf's name). It's the greatest book and tells the story from the wolf's point of view. Well, it wasn't long before "Mr. I Don't Want to Read That Book" came peeking over my shoulder to see the illustrations. When his Mommy came home, he told her all about it.

I had been to Baby Gap and Gymboree last weekend and found the cutest little sun bonnet and smocked dress for Eden. Jamie put her in it when she came home from the doctor and she looked so sweet, even though the hat is gigantic on her right now - even weighing 10 lbs today!!!
We had tea and a chat while Noah played with his Hot Wheels. Then he cuddled up to me with his Leapster and played "Cars" while Jamie and I chatted. It was touching how he shows his love for me. I almost got a smile from Eden today, too, and Jamie did get one! It was strange, yet heartwarming, to see my daughter interacting with her own daughter and how thrilled she was when she got that first smile.
A two-hour babysitting "job" turned into over four hours of fun. I left after Eden had eaten, pooped again, and fell asleep on her Mommy's shoulder. It truly was a lovely day.

14 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, those are just about the cutest pictures I have ever seen.

Ever!

Omigosh! What a wonderful day you must have had with your own little Munchkins. Omigoodness!

Eden looks like her Mommy, doesn't she?

Too cute for words!

Leslie: said...

Actually, Eden looks more like Jaclyn did at the same age. And yes, it was a wonderful day!

Cedar said...

AH, What happen to Noah's hair?

Leslie: said...

I know, I know, I loved his curls, too! However with a new baby to look after, my daughter couldn't manage all it took to care for those curls. So he now has a fauxhawk. Short all over except at the top there are some short curls left.

Mental P Mama said...

What a wonderful day...precious babies.

Michele said...

Well, it sounds like you had a super cool day. The photos, OMG, precious... I just can't get enough of the cute pics... those are adorable.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

What a super day you had...my how much Eden as grown !!!

jmb said...

You are so lucky to have them close by. A great day by the sounds of things.
No photo hunt this week?

RiverPoet said...

What beautiful grandchildren! Someday maybe I'll have days like that with a couple of my own. :-)

Peace - D

Ruth W. said...

that first smile from a new grandchild is just the best thing that can happen. You are so blessed Leslie.

Linda said...

Sounds like you did have a lovely day. Some of my favorite days are those spent with grandchildren.
Little Eden is adorable.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It sounds like you had a great day and doesn't Eden look pretty in her dress and bonnet? Brightened my evening! xx

Paulie said...

Am especially impressed with the poop details! lol

What a cutie Eden is and I am gl;ad Noah liked that book -- it is one of my favorites to read to kids.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm sure it's not been that long since I visited you yet I seem to have missed lots! Where have I been?!

Glad you and Noah had a good ball game. I was going to comment on the hair too!

That sounds like the sort of book I'd like to read!

And look at Eden in her hat! Isn't she just gorgeous?