About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Five Senses

Josie did this recently and I sent her mine, but she insists I post it. The most spectacular view ever, in my opinion, is the view of the Rocky Mountains from the air. Every time I fly over them I make sure I have a window seat so I can look out. It takes quite a while to go over them and I never tire of the view. (Be sure to click on the photo to see what I mean.)

Five smells I love

1) The fragrance of cedar trees on a dry summer day.
2) The Christmas turkey roasting in the oven.
3) The salt air at the ocean.
4) The air after a summer rain
5) School in the morning before the kids arrive.

Five sights I love

1) The Rocky Mountains from an airplane.
2) Noah running to me for a hug.
3) Fire in a fireplace – I can get lost in it.
4) The sun coming up over Shuswap Lake.
5) Leaves on trees in autumn.


Five tastes that I love

1) Hot chocolate on a cold winter's day.
2) White Spot’s apple crumble warmed up with vanilla ice cream melting on top.
3) My mother’s macaroni and cheese that I make about twice a year by request from my kids.
4) Fresh parmessan cheese in Italy.
5) Peanut butter mixed with chocolate in any form.


Five sounds I love

1) A baby laughing
2) Silence
3) A train whistle, way off in the distance, late at night. (when I have insomnia, I can hear the trains going to Roberts Bank around 1:30 am)
4) Birds - Seagulls anytime, geese honking as they fly south in the fall, and the birds chirping in the tree outside my bedroom window.
5) Certain songs at church that leave me teary eyed.


Five things I love to touch

1) Sand between my toes at the beach
2) My passport and an airline ticket to anywhere
3) Real suede
4) A dog after being groomed
5) Flannel sheets – so cosy

14 comments:

geewits said...

Leslie, I really like your things. Well except the Rockies. That gave me vertigo shivers. I still have goosebumps on my arms from the picture! Thanks for reminding me of the smell of cedar. Now I want to go smell the old cedar box that was my Dad's. And now I suppose you realize that everyone will want your mother's mac and cheese recipe!

(I was as shocked as everyone that Sabrina was sent home.)

jmb said...

Love this post Leslie. I must be a really nosy person for I like to learn all about the bloggers I read.
Wonderful photo of the Rockies.

Sienna said...

...me too... I'm with ya on all of this except the peanut butter and chocolate!

Leslie, have you ever tried our famous vegemite? The love if millions of Australians; the spread to have on toast and biscuits, and looks like oil grease?

Pam

Leslie: said...

geewits sorry you got the vertigo shivers, but really it's SO amazing to look down and see the snow on the tops of the mountains and the lakes and rivers winding their ways amongst all those peaks.

There's no recipe for Mom's mac & cheese, so it's hard to explain. But I don't make a "sauce" per se and I just kinda "know" how much of everything to put in. You'll just have to come and sample some when you're in town. :D

Leslie: said...

jmb This really made me stop and think about all those good things I enjoy in life. Whenever I'm feeling down, I think I'll just get this list out and thank God for all those good thing.

Leslie: said...

sienna (Pam) I don't think I've ever had vegemite, but England is famous for its hazelnut spread (can't think of its name right now) and we do have that here. But peanut butter is a staple, especially in kids' diets, here.

Gledwood said...

Hamsters have a 6th sense: it's the impression made by their enormous whiskers... that stick out so very wide from their faces they can safely dash down tunnels in the pitch black without bashing into the walls...

(whiskers are NOT just the sense of touch... or else by the same token you could argue that smell and taste are the same: both after all rely on chemical receptors to tell us what is in the atmosphere or on food...)

Gledwood said...

How are you by the way? Thanks for your message you left at mine!

Jo said...

Five Sounds I Love:

Silence.

Oh, yes. That's a wonderful sound.

What a beautiful shot of the Rockies!

Leslie: said...

Yes, Josie, silence is golden, as they say. And after all those years of dealing with noisy and unruly kids at school, the best part of the day was around 3:30 pm when I was all alone in the classroom and the kids had all left the playground - aaahh, silence!

Leslie: said...

Gledwood I truly believe that smell and taste are connected. Once I lost my sense of smell for about 2 years and during that time I couldn't taste anything, either. Think about it next time you get all stuffed up with a cold and can't breathe or smell anything.

Ruth L.~ said...

This is a sensual post, Leslie, which goes without saying :>) And the photo-- all I could think were the words: a wrinkle in time. . .

heiresschild said...

hi leslie, great list. lets us know a little more about you. i like the picture of the rockies.

i thought about robbie the other day for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ibyduhuf.freewaywebhost.com/nahipyw.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life